1. Hello Guest, welcome to our little Switch Forum! Our intention here is to create the best Nintendo Switch community on the internet, as well as keeping you informed with the latest developments. Registration is FREE, so get yourself logged in and join us!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use the 8bitdo controllers?

Discussion in 'Switch General Discussion' started by Miah, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Miah

Miah Active Member

Anyone use any of the 8bitdo controllers with their Switch? How do you feel about them? I've had one of the Nes30 pro for awhile & used it with my android tablets. Recently i picked up the new SF30 pro pad since everyone said it was the best thing since sliced bread...

Just synced the new sf30 pro to my switch for the 1st time & played some Tachyon Project...honestly i'm not all that fond of the amount of travel/dead zone(??) the new analog sticks have compared to the older gamepad.

Maybe i'm just used to the tiny analog sticks & how responsive that makes them feel to me, but larger gamepads with bigger sticks just don't feel as good. Anyone else have that issue? Am i just weird?

2. nacsgaming

nacsgaming Senior Member

I have not used one on the Switch yet but I do have the F30 Pro that I use with my RetroPie. Seems to work great for that.

3. Georgina Howlett

Georgina Howlett Moderator Staff Member

I've never used one - and had never heard of them at all actually until recently. I have small hands so I suppose I would prefer a small controller but larger sticks as I find them easier to grip and move?

I'll follow this thread with curiosity...!

4. Miah

Miah Active Member

Overall controller size of the 2 is actually fairly similar with the newer SD30 pro being slightly wider & having ever so slightly farther spread apart(& larger) analog sticks. The biggest difference is the thickness since the newer gamepad has more conventional designed shoulder buttons while the older controller is super slim so it has them side-by-side. While looking up comparisons online i did notice reviews for the older NES 30 pro controller & some felt the analogs were too sensitive. Maybe it's simply that since i started on an NES30 pro, all larger controllers just feel sloppier to me now.

5. Georgina Howlett

Georgina Howlett Moderator Staff Member

Could be! On some pro controllers like the PS4's Nacon Revolution you can set its dead zones and adjust sensitivity to what you like. I always thought that was a neat option. And obviously larger controllers anyway have further to move to get the same results just due to component size, so perhaps you just need to readjust!

6. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono Well-Known Member

Finally had the chance to unpack my SF30 Pro on Friday and tinkered around with it for a while.

Allow me to get straight to the point - this is a very good controller for games with very limited or slow control schemes, i.e. retro games (played Azure Striker Gunvolt on Switch just now and it works perfectly; same with Rabi-Ribi and Cosmic Star Heroine on PC) and RPGs (tried it in conjunction with The Last Remnant, works really well, might be useful for Final Fantasy XII too). For fast-paced 3D action games that make use of every button, however, I would not recommend it. I attempted to play NieR: Automata's PC version with it and it's just too cramped to play that game properly, partly because the shoulder buttons fit very tightly together, making simultaneous shooting and evading in that particular case a bit finnicky.

If you like retro/2D stuff though and plan on having a sizeable VC library (if we ever get VC, that is), it is a solid purchase, but if you are intending to get a "pro" controller for a wider array of Switch games, stick to the pro controllers from Nintendo.

Chris James likes this.
  7. TastyDerp

TastyDerp New Member

Would you recommend it for games like Street Fighter? I know you have to be quick with controller inputs on the game but I used to dabble in a bit of SF on the SNES and enjoyed the controls.

8. Chris James

Chris James New Member

I use the SF30 Pro; it's the one controller I always pack when traveling. The button feel is almost perfect and it just works with all my devices.
    As for slower, retro games? I wholeheartedly recommend it.

9. TastyDerp

TastyDerp New Member

Nice one, I've been toying with the idea of buying one for ages now, it'll be handy for when my friend and I want to play Street Fighter 30th Anniversary edition together when it's out.