1. Hello Guest, welcome to our little Switch Forum! Our intention here is to create the best Nintendo Switch community on the internet, as well as keeping you informed with the latest developments. Registration is FREE, so get yourself logged in and join us!
    Dismiss Notice

Future Nintendo Switch owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SONY, Feb 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SONY

SONY Senior Member

Hi all, I'm from Melbourne, Australia and I'm new to the Switch Player forums, nice to meet you all :)
    A couple of years ago, I briefly frequented The Vita Lounge forums until I had to leave due to illness :(

Anyway, I'm back now (feeling better too!) and have been thinking about buying a Nintendo Switch since I first tried it out late 2016.
    Hopefully, everyone here will convince me to purchase a Switch in time for the end of the financial year sales.
    See you around all :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    DankZaku likes this.
  2. Popey

Popey Member

Hi Sony,

I bought a Switch two weeks ago. Here are some of the pro's and cons based on my experience, however overall I love it so far and don't regret buying it - even if I can freely list a load of cons, I work in Quality Assurance and I am trained to highlight flaws more so than positives.

Pro
    • The portability and flexibility of the console is great, particularly if you'll have it primarily hooked up to the main TV in your living room which is also shared with whoever else you live with (in my case, my wife) who might not necessarily want to spend all their free time watching you play your favorite games. It's as easy as picking it up and it will instantly convert to handheld mode without delay.
    • Nintendo - if you've ever owned a Nintendo console in the past and have previously fallen in love with any of the iconic Nintendo characters, this is the only place you'll get to enjoy these.
    • It feels a lot easier to pick up the entire unit, including the docking bay, to take your friends or family to get some local multiplayer party fun going on.
    • The online service is free (until Autumn 2018?)
    • Decent local multiplayer options, which are becoming increasingly hard to find on other consoles.
    • I seem to care more about my console, as I frequently hold it in my hands, compared to my PS4 which you can easily forget is more than just a controller.

Con
    • It's design does come with one inherent flaw - unlike a PS4 or XBOX One you can't really tuck the console away discretely in a console table under your television. If you did, you'd have to awkwardly pull it all out just to change a game cartridge and pull out your joy cons so be prepared to keep the console differently to how you might other consoles. I personally just sit it next to my television between my cordless phone and google home device, since I have my TV on a console table rather than wall-mounted. The console isn't designed to be stowed away like a PS4 or Xbox!
    • Limited big name games outside of Nintendo own-brand. This scene is improving.
    • Limited online capabilities (at the moment) - miles away from PS4 or XBox One.
    • Lot's of ultra low-res games - this may just be my personal preference and is probably a positive thing for a lot of people, but in an age of HD gaming Switch seems to have an abundance of ultra low-res games (typically ports or indie titles). I loved my Game Boy, but I don't want to see those graphics in 2018.
    • Take out insurance including accidental damage - this adds a small expense but in my opinion is worth it should you ever drop it! I feel this is more important with the Switch than other consoles.

Fintendo likes this.
  3. nacsgaming

nacsgaming Senior Member

Welcome to the forum Sony! Glad you are feeling better!

Zodasaur likes this.
  4. Miah

Miah Active Member

Welcome Sony. Good to hear you're doing better now.

Zodasaur likes this.
  5. Fintendo

Fintendo Well-Known Member

Welcome!

6. Popey

Popey Member

I was typing that out so quickly this morning before heading out, I forgot to say welcome! I'm fairly new to the Switch scene too but intend to be active both on my Switch and this forum. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  7. Joecool

Joecool Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Get it because I say so :D

8. Georgina Howlett

Georgina Howlett Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forums! Happy to have you with us!

If you want a console that sports not only portability and great games but also a great indie library and a wealth of ways to play with other people, the Switch is definitely for you. It looks great hooked up to a TV, looks even better in handheld mode, and has all of the Nintendo classics up and coming to it as well as an increasing number of third party titles. It's got a lot of possibilties and Labo, which I'm sure you may have heard of by now, is just one of them - so who knows what the future might bring?

Murphy likes this.
  9. Tornado

Tornado Well-Known Member

Hi Sony. Good to see you're feeling better. I certainly remember you from TVL. :)

10. SONY

SONY Senior Member

Thank you all. I appreciate the warm welcome :)

Zodasaur likes this.
  11. Joecool

Joecool Well-Known Member

That's a great explanation as to why you should get it, or you can get it because I say so :)

12. Georgina Howlett

Georgina Howlett Moderator Staff Member

What use am I if I can't write about things? Hahaha.

But yes, the Switch is definitely worth picking up. I love mine.

Joecool likes this.
  13. Zodasaur

Zodasaur Well-Known Member

The Switch is a nice console, but it does have major cons to me that I seldom hear people talk about. I'll just stick to the cons because this site is overwhelmingly positive about the console, and others have the system's pros well covered.

-Battery life is poor in my opinion. To me, the 3DS-XL and Vita slim both have a poor battery life runtime, and the Switch's battery life is even worse. About twice as bad in my experience although it's better in less demanding games such as Puyo Tetris.

-In my opinion It should have been engineered without the need for a cooling fan. While I take extremely good care of my game systems, i'm the type of person to put an ungodly amount of hours of use into my systems. I've had all sorts of built-in fans die and stop working from heavy use, such as the PS2's cooling fan, PC video card cooling fans, case fans, you name it. These fans are proprietary by nature and are not easy to replace. Surely if my beloved NES had a cooling fan in it, it would have worn out by now. It's seen a ridiculous amount of use since the 80s and still going strong. My NES outlived my PS2 and Original X-Box because of this and it will probably outlive my Switch as well because of this.

-The Pro Controller sucks horribly for the specific games I bought it for. Just last weekend I played a lot of Puyo Tetris with 3 of my friends and on 4 instances my tetris piece insta-slammed down into the wrong place because the D-Pad has a design flaw and erratically presses directions that I didn't press. It isn't just my specific controller because I sent it into Nintendo for repair and the replacement controller does the exact same thing

-No Microphone what so ever included on the system. The 3DS, Vita, Wii U and even every PS4 controller has a microphone built-in for convenient voice communication in games. This was one of my very favorite aspects of the PS-Vita. I used to run a 24/7 Minecraft server and it was just great to be able to talk directly to new members person to person. Everyone with a Vita had access to voice chat so it was great to be able to conduct a mini voice interview with everyone and weed out the obvious greifers and trolls. You really don't glean as much information about another person threw just text chat - which by the way I'm pretty sure you can't do either in Switch games.

-Digital games are tied to the hardware, instead of just your account. This is a huge negative for me, again because of being so used to the flexibility of digitally purchased games on the PS-Vita. When you buy a digital Vita game, the purchase isn't tied to specific hardware and can be moved around yourself from system to system. In fact, Sony is cool enough to allow you to install a digitally purchased Vita game onto 4 separate Vita systems! This means by just purchasing the one game license i'm able to play the games with my friends over local 4 player multiplayer which is such a great feature for me personally because I make such heavy use of it.

-The Switch Pro controller's battery life is half as long as the Wii-U Pro Controller's battery life. Why can't I use the Wii U controller on the Switch anyways? It looks almost identical. My Vita-TV will let me use a PS3 or a PS4 controller with it..

-Soon it will have paid multiplayer and i'm not having any of that as it's a poor value for me. As soon as they start charging for Switch online play i'm going to stop playing the Switch version of Puyo Tetris and go back to the Vita version with free online multiplayer.

-The face buttons on Switch's Joycon controller are too small, and don't feel substantial enough. I've gotten this comment from 2 different house guests and after thinking about it myself, I absolutely agree with them.

-Still missing a lot of the big popular multiplatform titles like Grand Theft Auto, Fallout, Call of Duty, Borderlands, Destiny, ect.

-The Joycon Grip is stupid, and never should have existed. All Switch Joycon grips should be charging grips obviously. Complete charging grips are only $20. How much money could Nintendo have possibly have saved by not including the charging grip with the Console? $3-$4? The idea of a controller that can't be charged while it's being used is just incredibly dumb to me. I've always said that the lack of a charge and play feature on the old Nintendo Wii-mote controllers was the worst aspect of the hardware. Every single time I play 4 player Mario Party on the Wii at my cousin's house, someone's Wii-Mote runs out of juice and we just have to quit playing mid-game and it frustrates the hell out of me.

-No built-in streaming capability like the PS4 and Xbox One both have. I'm pretty jealous that the competitor's systems have this feature! This is something that i'd appreciate being built in. It would have saved me over $200 dollars investing in upgrading my PC with hdmi capture abilities.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Renegade Bastard likes this.
  14. Fanny Magnet

Fanny Magnet Member

Sony

Sit down and ask yourself why?

Why did you cast off the vita?.

It's an endless cycle of buying new things thinking they will add value to your life, but they won't?.

You know this to be true.

If you can't play Rugby 15 on the vita, Splatoon just won't do it for you on the Switch.

I, a number of years ago decided no amount of buying shit was going to make a difference in my life, well then never bothered getting out of bed.

I don't have a switch, well I can't afford it, well basically because I can't be arsed getting out of bed.

SONY likes this.
  15. Popey

Popey Member

So, if my Switch for some reason broke beyond repair and needed replacing, I'd also lose every digital game I bought? As if I needed another reason to hate digital download games...

16. Miah

Miah Active Member

You can only have your account active on one switch console at a time. Zoda is used to owning multiple consoles & using his account & 1 single game to play co-op across those multiple devices all at the same time. No, you won't lose your digital games

Zodasaur likes this.
  17. Popey

Popey Member

Right - gotcha! Not so bad then, just bad if want to distribute your games between friends! (legal pirating?!)

I also agree the paid online service will not be worth it unless they get more solid multiplayer games, and introduce a service like that on PS4 and Xbox where you get free games and digital store discounts every month as part of the subscription.

18. AnGer-dono

AnGer-dono Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, they announced something to that effect last year, waitlemmegooglethatforya - oh yes they did:

Source: Kotaku.com.au

Though it's only SNES and NES games... bummer.

19. Popey

Popey Member

This is a shame - still seems far less value than you get on XBOX and PS4 which gives you the games free for as long as you have a active subscription and also gives you a lot of current gen games even if they might be last years news, not to mention the massive online game library. I am sorry but getting 1 free NES or SNES game per month is really bad in comparison IMO. This service would surely have to be a fraction of the price if it wants be even remotely competitive?

If Nintendo's way of making more online games is to add a multiplayer mode to 20-30 year old games, this might just be Nintendo's next flop project.

20. Zodasaur

Zodasaur Well-Known Member

I just meant that it's something that you can't do totally yourself. You've got to call up Nintendo on the phone, explain them your situation and have them process the transfer for you. This just reminds me way too much of a "Microsoft Windows - Phone Activation" Where you have to call the company up, and explain yourself and convince the company that you really did pay for the software that you're trying to access. Rockstar Games does the same thing to me. I've had to contact and re-contact them (3 times now) to convince them that I really do own the PC game of theirs that I bought. The first 2 or 3 times you've got to do it may not seem so bad, but it wears on you the more you've got to do it.