1. Hello Guest, welcome to our little Switch Forum! Our intention here is to create the best Nintendo Switch community on the internet, as well as keeping you informed with the latest developments. Registration is FREE, so get yourself logged in and join us!
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch <3's 1TB microSDXC card

Discussion in 'Switch General Discussion' started by SONY, Feb 26, 2019.

1. SONY

SONY Senior Member

Zodasaur likes this.
  2. Georgina Howlett

Georgina Howlett Moderator Staff Member

This is definitely going to be something that Switch Players will have to invest in in the end. But at least it's not a Day 1 Wii U situation, with only 32gb on-board storage... That was a disaster

3. SONY

SONY Senior Member

Isn't the Nintendo Switch in the same situation?

4. Georgina Howlett

For the size of the games the Switch has, it has a lot more flexibility. Especially as it uses cartridges. I could install multiple games on the system before ever having to upgrade my storage, whereas the original Wii U notoriously filled its storage exceptionally quickly, without as many options for expanded storage.

Take Smash Bros. Wii U, for instance - I seem to remember my ex boyfriend having to drag around expanded storage because the game wouldn't fit on the console with all the DLC as well...

5. SONY

SONY Senior Member

But I thought, on Wii U, you could put all your games on an SD card?

6. Georgina Howlett

No, not at all. SD card functionality for the Wii U was the same as the Wii if I remember correctly; you could store pictures and videos, and certain other data like QR patterns or something like that, but not save data or applications.

Those had to go on external drives or USBs.

7. SONY

SONY Senior Member

Ah ok, that sucks. Oh well, I guess Nintendo Switch is a massive improvement :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  8. Georgina Howlett

It really is! And you have so many options to keep swapping out cards.

9. SONY

SONY Senior Member

Yeah, I'm gonna organise my cards one of these years :)

1TB = Indies

1TB = Everything else

10. Georgina Howlett

That's a neat idea! Might have to steal that one.

11. Zodasaur

Zodasaur Well-Known Member

The SD card is exclusively for the Virtual Wii mode. When the system is in it's normal Wii U mode, the SD card isn't used.

12. Georgina Howlett

Yeah, precisely. As I said, it was used in the same way as the Wii (i.e. for the Wii content) and didn't see much if any other use.

13. SONY

SONY Senior Member

Oh well, a hacked Wii U is always the best way to go :)

14. Georgina Howlett

Not for me! Vanilla consoles all the way. No interest in hacking or modding consoles.

15. SONY

SONY Senior Member

Each to their own, I guess...horses for courses.

Georgina Howlett likes this.
  16. Zodasaur

I normally like to run my systems unmodded too. I just regret not modding my Xbox classic before it's DVD drive gave out because now it's useless. If it had been hacked before hand I wouldn't need the optical drive to play my purchased games for it. I guess i'm just oldschool and remember a time when my game systems never broke, even if you played them 8 hours a day. Now most systems have 5 year expected lifespans and all that, and that's assuming you don't play them 8 hours a day.

17. SONY

SONY Senior Member

Many moons ago, I modded my XBOX original and chucked a 500GB hdd in it...it turned into an XXXBOX :(

18. Georgina Howlett

I... have never owned an Xbox.

Zodasaur likes this.
  19. SONY

SONY Senior Member

Lol, you're missing out. I love Microsoft XBOX everything :D

20. Zodasaur

The only reason I got an X

Microsoft is evil!!!