1. Hello Guest, welcome to our little Switch Forum! Our intention here is to create the best Nintendo Switch community on the internet, as well as keeping you informed with the latest developments. Registration is FREE, so get yourself logged in and join us!
    Dismiss Notice

PC Gaming Rigs

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by JoSoap, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Joecool

Joecool Well-Known Member

Just so you guys know, the same keyboard I bought for $80, it's on sale right now for $59.99 today only! (03/26/2018)
    http://a.co/5WctD1A

I freaking recommended, it's a great keyboard.

2. Zodasaur

Zodasaur Well-Known Member

I'm getting a new monitor next week! I'm getting a 24" Asus 144 Hertz LCD! I've kind of started to get the upgrade itch lately, but it's just such a terrible time to buy a Videocard right now, and upgrading my CPU would also be quite costly because i'd have to also get a new motherboard, all new DDR4 RAM and i'd be forced to move to Windows 10. Decided on a monitor upgrade to scratch the itch and i'm quite excited about the 144 frames per second capabilities it has. I'm one of the rare people who finds framerates above 60 quite noticeable. Now the challenge will be finding games that my computer is actually powerful enough to push at 144 FPS. :) I bet I can manage that easily in Fear 1, 2, Left For Dead 2, GTA Vice City, ect.

3. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

Good choice! You won’t regret it. CS:GO is pretty easy to run up at those rates too

4. Renegade Bastard

Renegade Bastard Senior Member

I’ve been eyeballing those new $600 laptops on the market that sport AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 APU with Vega intergrated GPU. By no means are they a dedicated gaming laptop, but I’ve watched benchmarks on YouTube. The HP Envy X360 if I remember the model correctly, is capable of running Far Cry 5 at 720p and 30 fps! Impressive stuff for an APU. I don’t think it was even overclocked, either! I’m going to follow this new APU. I may consider one of these laptops in the near future.

5. Zodasaur

Ordered an extra 16GB of DDR3 RAM last week in order to get my ram up to 32GBs, but I started having a bunch of crashes the following days and after running memtest for 8+ hours I discovered that one of the sticks of RAM was bad. I'm sending it back for a refund for now cause I could use the cash currently, but i'll give it another go in a few weeks probably when I feel like trying another memory kit.

6. Renegade Bastard

Oh my! Why do you need 32GB of RAM?! 12GB to 16GB is plenty good enough for hardcore AAA gaming and computing!

7. Zodasaur

You're right, 16GB is enough for any sort of hardcore gaming (I have personally seen Battlefront 2 use a bit over 13GB of RAM before). About a month ago though I discovered a really kickass program called Primo Cache https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/ . I'm not sure if you are familiar or not with a function of Windows called "Super Fetch" or not, but Primo Cache works sort of like an extension to Windows' own built in Super Fetch feature. Basically, you allocate a user-defined amount of RAM toward RAM caching. With Primo Cache's RAM cache, it will keep as much recently-accessed data in RAM as it has room for, so the next time that specific data is requested by the PC, it will come from RAM instead of a hard drive or SSD. RAM is an order of magnitude faster than hard drives and even SSDs so any data that is able to be re-read from RAM is incredibly faster than if it had to be read from a disk. I get about 8.5GBps read speed from my RAM cache, where as even my fastest SSD can (only) read as fast as 550MBps and even that 550MBps is under a best case scenario (sequential data, not random). Primo cache is pretty special, because it works at the block level, instead of the application level like Super Fetch does, so it caches absolutely everything (including stuff that Windows does), and doesn't clear the cache after you close the application like Super Fetch does. After leaving my PC on for about 24 hours, 100% of my reads from my C:/ drive are from RAM, and I can absolutely feel the difference in responsiveness from it. It helps a lot too on older games that are small enough to totally fit into my PC's allocated 13GB cache, but the newer games i've tried tend to be either too big to be effectively cached into my 13GB cache space, or are more CPU bottlenecked for me anyways since I use an outdated 7 year old CPU. That's why I wanna go with 64GB of RAM for my next build, but memory prices are just too high at the moment for me to want to do it. Also the whole having to go Windows 10 issue if I want to upgrade my motherboard. Once I can get 64GB for under $500 i'll probably take the plunge. :p

Renegade Bastard likes this.
  8. Renegade Bastard

I was not familiar with that program at all, but now that you mention it and describe everything in detail, yeah... it makes sense why you would want plenty more RAM installed on your mobo. Definitely sounds like a pricey future build for sure, tho. :oops:

9. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

I’m still working with 8gigs, would like to upgrade but not worth it at the minute

10. Renegade Bastard

I’m on 8GB RAM in my laptop as well, bud.

11. Zodasaur

The friggin power button broke on my PC last week! What a lame way for a computer to break! I spent two evenings totally re-building my computer just to move it over to a new case. It was super time-consuming, but i'm all done with it now. I went with the "Corsair Carbine" model of case https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-100R-Tower-Case/dp/B00RORBQSW/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1525988470&sr=1-5&keywords=corsair+case&th=1 . It seems pretty alright. Honestly I looked around a lot at cases, and there just aren't very many models available on the market right now that i'm fond of. I find that most PC cases these days are designed first and foremost to be cheap, and look cool. That's the sort of thing I would have gone for when I was 16 years old, but these days I prefer stronger cases with a more practical and effective cooling design.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  12. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

Aw poo what a hassle, need to be careful though. An effective “cooing” design could draw an impractical amount of pigeons... sorry

Renegade Bastard and Zodasaur like this.
  13. Renegade Bastard

Sorry to hear of the headache, @Zodasaur. Hopefully everything goes better with the PC in the new case!