1. Hello Guest, welcome to our little Switch Forum! Our intention here is to create the best Nintendo Switch community on the internet, as well as keeping you informed with the latest developments. Registration is FREE, so get yourself logged in and join us!
    Dismiss Notice

The Switch & Amiibo; Yay, or Nay?

Discussion in 'Switch General Discussion' started by Kyle, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy

As someone new to owning a post-Gamecube Nintendo platform (aside from my neglected 3DS) I'm currently unsure about how to approach amiibo with the Switch. While I definitely want to get the most out of my games, I'm not willing to play the gotta' collect them all option as I'd rather buy more games.

What's your approach to amiibo? Do you ignore them? Do you only get ones that are super helpful on games you have? Do you just buy the cute ones, screw the games?

Tell me what's up with these things, and what you plan to do going forward now that we know the Switch supports them.

2. Pixel

Pixel New Member

I'm not that much of a Nintendo fan to begin with, so these things don't interest me.

And if I was, I would still agree with the route on getting more games instead.

3. Lythene

Lythene New Member

Most of the time they're inexpensive collectibles of a wide variety of characters that add frivolous bonuses to certain games. They're very easy to ignore, since they're basically shelf decorations. If you want them for decorating a shelf, they have the advantage of being a lot cheaper than typical figurines (if you can find the ones you want in a store,) and they feature a lot of characters that don't have their own figurines available. If you don't care about having a bunch of little Nintendo figures, then you'll never need to give them any thought. Very rarely will games use them for anything significant.

Personally, I already have a Figma of the only character I want (who also has an amiibo,) so I don't care. Not to mention the difficulty in tracking down the interesting ones.

4. Kusengai

Kusengai Member

With the exception of SSB the amiibos generally don’t serve much of a purpose. Mostly some supporting or funny aspects like some Items or an interaction.

Perhaps one or two figures will surround my docking station. Just for the artistic value and the complete lack of decoration in my room. The rest will be invested in games, which are more fun anyway.

5. Link41

Link41 Senior Member

I have all The Legend of Zelda affiliated ones, don't need anymore then those ;)

Murphy and Kusengai like this.
  6. Murphy

Murphy Founder Staff Member

I've just taken the hit and ordered the four new 30th anniversary figures, the problem is that my OCD will kick in and I'll need the set. With so many already available - and many out of print - this could get very expensive, very quickly. And I'm sure Mrs M won't approve. I'm going to need a shed...

warrior30 likes this.
  7. Americo

Americo Active Member

I'm running out of space for my Amiibos. There's just not a great storage solution like I have for my Lego Dimensions.

Murphy likes this.
  8. Astr0

Astr0 Active Member

I love amiibos and already have a large collection!
    I only buy them as collectible figures, 90% of the time do not even use them in games

warrior30 and Kusengai like this.
  9. Murphy

10. mr_chun

mr_chun New Member

I own 45 Amiibo. I hope all of the currently-existing Amiibo will make their way over and provide additional usefulness as time goes on. Animal Crossing is the only set that has really made great use of them so far; I can use one of those Amiibo with three different games, and in fun ways. Would love to see more of that.

I think the thing that's missing is a Disney Infinity style game that really is built around them.

warrior30 likes this.
  11. warrior30

warrior30 Well-Known Member

I own around 60 amiibo, I love collecting them and I don't use them in any game, just on my display shelf

12. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy

Up to four at a moment, but there's a lot that I'm eyeing. Just need the extra $. :p

Murphy likes this.
  13. keresmatic

keresmatic Member

I was into amiibo when they first came out, but I pretty much only buy them now if they're super discounted, like $5 each. I was interested in collecting them at first, but at this point I would only grab ones that I think look cool. I don't use them in games much and treat them as decorations.

14. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo Active Member

The are like a collectors only item for me, I see the bonuses in certain games you can get from them but really its just a novelty thing. I have considered buying a couple here and there for that collection piece but still haven't done it.

15. Murphy

Don't. I started buying them and now I'm at 40. There's about 160 of the pricks. And some are over £100 each, scalped. That OCD in me kicked in and I know I'll get them all. :(

16. Fintendo

Fintendo Well-Known Member

I got thrown into amiibos right away when got my switch. I think they can give nice bonuses and boosts to games. On switch they haven’t shown really good potential yet though...

I have about 19 amiibos right now. I didn’t have wii u or any of ds-family console, so I desided to buy only the amiibos that have functions on switch games and I try to get the hole series like 30th zelda or splatoon. I have ”OCD collector-problem” too, like Murphy and others who posted here so making somekind of rules is good for me :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Murphy likes this.
  17. Fintendo

Fintendo Well-Known Member

Wow, new amiibo just keep coming!

18. JimmyEcho

JimmyEcho Well-Known Member

dangerous game those amiibos

Fintendo likes this.
  19. Murphy

Fucking Nintendo. What's that, 13 new ones? Jesus.

Fintendo and Blu Cry like this.
  20. Blu Cry

Blu Cry Well-Known Member

I wish they were a bit cheaper to buy as now there is too many to get at £12.99. I will just stick to my nfc stickers for now. I can get 10 nfc stickers for about £6 and can write what ever amiibo I might need. Yes this is wrong and possibly illegal but it makes carrying my amiibo around a lot easier.

Murphy likes this.