1. Hello Guest, welcome to our little Switch Forum! Our intention here is to create the best Nintendo Switch community on the internet, as well as keeping you informed with the latest developments. Registration is FREE, so get yourself logged in and join us!
    Dismiss Notice

NBA Playgrounds

Discussion in 'Switch Games' started by warrior30, Mar 19, 2017.

1. warrior30

warrior30 Well-Known Member

An indie developer is making a game for Switch called NBA Playgrounds, could this be an NBA Street style game? looking forward to hearing more, currently no info online about it, just a logo

2. warrior30

NBA Playgrounds is out next Tuesday May 9th

3. Kyle

Kyle Just Some Guy

Yep! Hoping to pick it up next week.

Will be nice to have a non-FIFA sports game that's portable. haha

warrior30 likes this.
  4. Jawessome

Jawessome Active Member

It has an NBA Jam vibe to it. Fingers crossed!

warrior30 likes this.
  5. warrior30

I read over at operationsports that its going to have online tournaments and also more players will be added in Free DLC, also a Dunk Contest and Three Point Contest are going to be added as well, sounds pretty cool, and I welcome a new Jam/Street Style Over The Top NBA Game! we were due for one and now we have it available on the Switch to play anywhere/anytime! plus its only $19.99!

6. Renegade Bastard

Renegade Bastard Senior Member

I'll be passing on this title. I was never really a fan of basketball to begin with. Also, sports games in general. Of the hundreds of physical and digital games I own across all of my platforms, I can count all of my sports games on a single hand. Haha! :p

warrior30 likes this.
  7. warrior30

I usually only buy the NBA 2K Series for sports games, I was going to get this on launch, but the file size is 7.4gb!!...bigger than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe..I really don't want to use up so much space on the internal memory.

8. Renegade Bastard

7.4GB?! Holy shit! :eek:

That's too many jibs for a small title like NBA Playgrounds! What the hell assets did the dev use? 4K? 1080p? Damn. I figured the game would be well under 4GB for sure. Crazy.

More so the reason I only buy physical games. I'm not a fan of juggling memory cards and trying to remember what content is installed on what memory card, especially since memory cards don't have nice little label stickers on them to show you what is installed on each card like physical game cartridges do. ;)

I remember the struggle back in PS One days! I had 6 fricken' memory cards for my PS One! I never knew where my save games were. I had to juggle the bastards looking for previous save games to overwrite! Ugh I hate memory cards with a passion! LOL

warrior30 likes this.
  9. Jawessome

Jawessome Active Member

I must say I am becoming rather lazy with digital. 3/4 of my PS4 titles are digital. The deals on PSN are just too awesome. Though the thing you are sacrificing is essentially physical ownership of the game which may just bite one in the ass decades down the line. If there were nice instruction manuals included with games, I'd honestly probably still make physical a priority otherwise I'm more of a digital spender. NBA Jam is my jam so I'll bite at this for sure when it launches in a few days..

Zodasaur and warrior30 like this.
  10. warrior30

Just a heads up this game plays in sub native resolution in handheld mode

Jawessome likes this.
  11. Jawessome

Jawessome Active Member

Just a heads up this game plays in sub native resolution in handheld mode

Holy crap does it ever? The text or visual graphics are perfect, yet anything with polygons looks washed out and bland. How lazy a port is this?!?

The game play isn't bad. Nowhere near as quick as NBA Jam but this is obviously a different game. Of all the packs opened so far, I can't really find any players I like. Even on Easy the first tournament match stomped me. Steals would just do nothing against the opposition and they'd just pass and break ankles to the hoop effortlessly to the point of utter amazement. If this is easy mode, I'd say anything harder would be downright frustrating!

The shots are really something that frustrate me right now as if you release the button too early you miss.. release it too late and you miss. It's far less forgiving than NBA Jam's is and I'm hoping there is a sweet spot as the AI obviously has no such difficulties..

I've only played for a half hour so, so I'm not writing this off totally. It's bad so far, but I really don't like how restricted you are to your players. The packs are supposedly random, so I'm, stuck with B list players at the moment.

The rumble feature must be busted on handheld mode. I just get a burst of rumble so intense it makes the Switch literally buzz in my hand due to the edges of the joy-cons vibrating like crazy against the edge of the actual Switch. It's awful and there appears no way to turn rumble off in settings.

Online is missing from this version too.

I was expecting more from this port to be honest. It's clear they put the Switch absolutely last on the list as far as consoles go. I'd hold off until these promised patches arrive unless you are a diehard NBA fan who needs an NBA title on the Switch.

Otherwise, get a PS4, PC or XBOne version. It has online from launch and you are not passing up on graphical quality..

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Renegade Bastard likes this.
  12. Renegade Bastard

Karak from ACG said the exact same thing you did. It sucks to see the Switch get shafted so soon after launch. :(

13. Jawessome

Jawessome Active Member

This is from the devs:

"Fair review - we are working to get the other features in. They will be done very soon. We just couldn't get them certified by the platform holders in time and if we delayed release we would be pushing to the end of the basketball season and then be put up against 2K in the fall - not the best option for a new game..."

"It isn't easy to put your product out into the wild and have it commented on but that is part of the process. We are definitely going to do everything we can to address the shortcomings of the game in terms of online features and to add more cool stuff as soon as possible. I would have loved nothing more than to have all the features we could have in this game on launch and we are definitely committed to getting them out. We will just need to continue to prove ourselves. Thanks again."

"MJ isn't part of the retirement association and it is super expensive to get a few players to a licensing deal (including MJ). If the game sells well we will definitely find a way to make it happen. I agree of course that he would be awesome to have in game"

So the ball is in their court now and we'll see how far they go at addressing issues with patches. At the end of the day, its only a matter of time until a third party team will come along and look subpar compared to first party efforts that know the absolute ins and outs of hardware (Breath of the Wild and MarioKart 8 - I am looking at you).

For the time being, the game isn't BAD, it's just not living up to it's full potential. I really do wish EA would release NBA Jam - On Fire Edition for Switch though. It's out there on Shield and would be easy enough to port on a similar architecture and would sell well.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Renegade Bastard likes this.
  14. Jawessome

Jawessome Active Member

UPDATE: Alright - after persisting to try and learn the timing mechanics and failing miserably, I have deleted this infernal game from my machine in anger. Unlike NBA Jam, which is requires you to time your jump shots, NBA Playgrounds required you to time EVERY shot. Yes. Including lay-ups and dunks.

I wouldn't mind this so much but the game gives you absolutely no indicator on when to release the shoot button. None. I would get one shot out of 6 or 7 and it just pissed me off in the end as obviously the AI has no such difficulty.

Save your $20 - or in my case $26AUD..

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  15. TriOpticon

TriOpticon Active Member

It does look horrible from all the videos I have seen. I wasn't going to buy it anyway, though. Even though the developer says they'll be fixing the issues you have to wonder how it ever was released. One could say that about a lot of games, though.

Jawessome likes this.
  16. warrior30

The switch version hasn't even received a patch yet, it's like the developer doesn't care for us

17. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo Active Member

I keep seeing that next week promise. I am waiting on that patch to see if I will pick it up on my Switch since its supposed to fix the performance issues.

Blu Cry likes this.
  18. Jawessome

Jawessome Active Member

19. Jawessome

Jawessome Active Member

So here's the latest on the Switch version.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nba-p...t-file-size-in-half-increase-resolution-more/

In short they've halved the install size, upped the resolution in portable mode, added online and brought the game up to date to include everything on all the other platforms apparently.

Once the patch comes out, I'll try it again to see if they fixed the horribly elusive shot timing mechanic.

JimmyEcho likes this.
  20. warrior30

This article is from June 3, still no patch and its july