1. Hello Guest, welcome to our little Switch Forum! Our intention here is to create the best Nintendo Switch community on the internet, as well as keeping you informed with the latest developments. Registration is FREE, so get yourself logged in and join us!
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo Switch Housing Shell Kits

Discussion in 'Switch General Discussion' started by Joecool, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Joecool

Joecool Well-Known Member

I've decided to take the plunge and replace the housing shell for the Switch and the Joy-Cons.
    This will eventually void the warranty, but (un)fortunately I don't have any warranty on mine.
    So far I came down to two options and perhaps you guys could help me decide.
    OR if you have other suggestions, I'd be glad to hear it!

I'm deciding between this one:
    Capture1.JPG

Or give it a Gameboy color retro look:
    Capture.JPG

Now my question to you is, would you do it? considering your warranty was expired or non-existent like in my case.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    nacsgaming likes this.
  2. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

The retro one for sure imo. I don’t really know what it entails but if I had no warranty I’d probably give it a go. Couldnt be that risky could it?

Joecool likes this.
  3. Joecool

To the videos I've seen, the Joy Cons are the "toughest" but they're replaceable so I don't mind the challenge.

4. Renegade Bastard

Renegade Bastard Senior Member

I’d say wait to you are out of warranty, then feel free to mod away! If no warranty? Mod now! :cool:

EDIT: Wait a minute! You said you have no warranty? How is that even possible?! The Switch is not even a year old yet! Nintendo offers a 1 year manufacture warranty with the purchase of any new console or handheld they sell!

Joecool likes this.
  5. Joecool

I wouldn't have known! but I like to live dangerously so I'll go ahead anyways lol

Renegade Bastard likes this.
  6. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

Yes Joe! Love life on the edge and let us know how it goes.

Joecool and Renegade Bastard like this.
  7. nacsgaming

nacsgaming Senior Member

I got the grey one above. be careful when doing the joycons..I broke one and its non repairable now :(

Joecool likes this.
  8. Georgina Howlett

Georgina Howlett Moderator Staff Member

The white looks really nice but you can't go wrong with the classic transparent shell.

9. Miah

Miah Active Member

Shame Nintendo doesn't offer colors like that. The Wife would be all over a glacier white Switch. Pretty sure i'm not willing to try my hand at shell replacements, it wouldn't end well for me.

10. Georgina Howlett

Who knows what they might do in the future?

11. Joecool

If they did it for the PSVita, I don't see why not on the Switch. Special Edition of sorts.

12. JoSoap

JoSoap Well-Known Member

Which one did you go for? And did everything go ok? No fatalities?

13. Georgina Howlett

Special Edition Switch consoles would kill the banks of many people...

14. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo Active Member

Not taking away from your post Joecool but i did my Joy Cons. It was a pain and in the end stripped a small screw... The housing is slightly larger than the original. I didn't do the Switch itself because it resides in the GripCase fulltime which is dockable. I like it, especially the swap to a d-pad.

If I had to choose between white and black, i'd do the white. Has a sleek look for sure.
    [​IMG]

Joecool and Georgina Howlett like this.
  15. Georgina Howlett

Looks great!

16. Joecool

@DeathMoJo You can take anything you want from me ;) lol.

I still haven't made a decision yet since I don't have much free time but if I do find another housing I might jump on that one.
    I'm good with my hands when it comes to disassembling things, so I shouldn't have any problems. We shall see!

17. DeathMoJo

DeathMoJo Active Member

I suggest having all the right tools and reviewing some of the videos out there. Components are tiny! Worst part was the springs, lost one for a good 10 minutes.

Joecool likes this.