1. Hello Guest, welcome to our little Switch Forum! Our intention here is to create the best Nintendo Switch community on the internet, as well as keeping you informed with the latest developments. Registration is FREE, so get yourself logged in and join us!
    Dismiss Notice

Time traveller!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Blu Cry, May 7, 2017.

1. Blu Cry

Blu Cry Well-Known Member

So I was doing a normal browse around the Internet searching about the tegra x1 processor (as I do being a strange tech nerd) and what kind of future titles I can realistically expect to come from nintendo. I came across a article that just happened to be remotely interesting but was published around 2 years ago.
    Not knowing what type of site I was on, I scrolled down the page to the comment section to see what people were saying about the chip. The first comment on the site just happened to be from a man called David Dixon and his comment is 2 years old. Here what it says "Nintendo should target this as their next project handheld tech, at least as a starting point."!
    This man was spot on! I found it fascinating that it was also my first link I tried and I was looking for nintendo related predictions to come up with.
    I also had to comment. I hope he replies, be fun to see if he remembers writing it.

Here's the link http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Nvidia-Tegra-X1-Can-Run-Unreal-Engine-4-Mobile-Devices-69282.html

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Renegade Bastard likes this.
  2. Renegade Bastard

Renegade Bastard Senior Member

Nice prediction by the man!

I knew there was something special about the Nvidia Tegra K1 when Nvidia first showed off the chip in their Shield Tablet! I saw the level of graphics and performance and thought to myself "Damn, it would sure be cool if Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft made a portable device like this. If only it were more powerful and less cost prohibitive, though."

Nvidia revealed Tegra X1 soon after that and I knew one day we would see that SoC in a future console and sure enough, we did. However it wasn't from Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft, but rather, Nvidia themselves! Enter the Shield console! A Tegra X1 powered micro console with graphics and performance far superior to even that of Xbox 360 and PS3! (Essentially capable of running ALL 7th generation console games at 1080p / 60fps with the Tegra X1 SoC and 3GB+ of RAM)

So, my past predictions were only half correct, and I get half a point for that. Haha!

Blu Cry likes this.
  3. Blu Cry

Blu Cry Well-Known Member

The great thing about the k1 tablet is the streaming to twitch being built into the OS which I had quite a successful time streaming VainGlory. The biggest downfall to the nvidia k1 and x1 devices is the Android OS. Nobody was making big games that showed off the systems power. The few that have come over the years have been great but the app store just doesn't work for paid games over £/$10. Unless u know what games are coming out on android, most of the time they slip under the radar.

I had a feeling it would of been Sony who jumped on the x1 with a new vita/portable. Nintendo have never been one for using latest tech in devices and thought that they wouldn't compete with their own 3ds system. Instead they have innovated the hybrid which in my eyes, works a treat. I now wonder if Sony will make a hybrid if the switch keeps selling the way it is. That can only work in our favor as developers will start seeing that the market is strong.

Renegade Bastard likes this.
  4. Renegade Bastard

Renegade Bastard Senior Member

I absolutely would love to see Sony take one last attempt at creation of another portable. The Tegra X1 or newer Nvidia SoC is definitely the way to go! Nvidia is the kingpin of graphics with AMD following closely behind. A new PlayStation hybrid console would be an absolute delight without a doubt, especially if it were backwards compatible with Vita games and could run them better than the games ran on native hardware! Kinda like how Xbox 360 games look and play so much better on Xbox One!

As for the operating system on Nvidia's gaming tablet / console? Yes... Android is a great OS without a doubt, but it simply just does not see the AAA game development support of an operating system like Windows. On the bright side, Android seems to be more widely supported for gaming than Valve's joke of an operating system known as SteamOS. So Android has that much more going for it at least. LOL

Zodasaur and Blu Cry like this.