1. Hello Guest, welcome to our little Switch Forum! Our intention here is to create the best Nintendo Switch community on the internet, as well as keeping you informed with the latest developments. Registration is FREE, so get yourself logged in and join us!
    Dismiss Notice

Wii U ports

Discussion in 'Switch General Discussion' started by Fintendo, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Fintendo

Fintendo Well-Known Member

Just saw pokemon direct and got exited for pokken. Reading comments from direct made me think about these ports...

Switch has been out for 3months now and about every other big title is a port from wii u. Personally i never played wii u, so i don't mind having ports, but in general switch has very little to nothing to offer people who owns wii u.

List of big titles for first 6months for switch:
    Zelda: BOTW (also on wiiu)
    1-2 switch
    Super Bomberman R
    Lego City Undercover (wiiu port)
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (wiiu port)
    Arms
    Splatoon 2 (improved, but more of the same)
    Skyrim (first time on nintendo, but 6yo game)
    FIFA18
    NBA2K18
    Pokken Tournament DX (wiiu port)

I love my switch and all its games, but what's the selling point for wiiu owners? Portability? Theres the ds-family with fresh games. Unless you really are interested in arms and bomberman or sports games on the go, switch offers nothing big and new to loyal nintendoers.

Well, E3 is just around the corner... :) what you think?

2. JimmyEcho

JimmyEcho Well-Known Member

The WiiU was just not a very good console, for consumers or Nintendo. This to me seems like 'Sorry we messed up the WiiU, Switch owners here were the good games you never got to play because of that'.
    The amount of people that own a switch and never owned a WiiU (myself included) is massive. So the majority of players never actually played these games the first time round.
    It sort of makes sense.

Kyle and Renegade Bastard like this.
  3. worldofswitch

worldofswitch Member

Yeah, I agree with JimmyEcho - although I can see your point, as I also owned the Wii U.

Zelda's not quite like the others, though, as it was released on both the Wii U and the Switch simultaneously. I think this is fair. If you got a Switch + Zelda you probably wouldn't have got Zelda on the Wii U. It's possible if you get a Switch later that you've already played Zelda on the Wii U, but I think this is more of an issue with older games that were ported across a few years after their original release.

I didn't play Mario Kart 8 much on the Wii U, although I did buy the DLC, but I prefer playing the Switch to the Wii U. Lego City Undercover I didn't play on Wii U, so played for the first time on Switch.

Funny thing is, while my first reaction to MK8 Deluxe on the Switch was being annoyed about buying it for a second time (I know that's my choice), I'd still like to have a Deluxe edition of Super Mario 3D World, or Super Luigi U, or Super Mario Maker. I wouldn't mind playing through 3D World or Luigi U all over again (new levels would be nice though). And it'd be a shame if Mario Maker didn't make it across to Switch, especially after the 3DS version was so lacking in online features.

I'd prefer to have brand new games, but I'd rather have repackaged games + extras in the first few months of the Switch than hardly any games at all. Plus, it may work out better this way: it could attract more people to the Switch, which might push Nintendo + other developers to bring out more new games.

Still, I hope Odyssey isn't the only Mario game we get. Super Mario 3D World 2 and Super Mario Galaxy 3 would be amazing...